This article explores several ways to intercept text messages from another phone and get these texts sent to your phone, tablet or computer. The methods described below are useful for monitoring the text message conversations of a child, employee, or a spouse.
There are three ways to get text messages from someone else’s phone sent to your device. These solutions are compatible with iOS and Android smartphones and tablets.
- use a cell phone spy app (iOS and Android devices)
- clone the person’s phone (iOS and Android devices)
- use text message forwarding (iOS only)
The first method works. The second two methods have serious limitations that we will explore.
Contents of this Guide
- Get Text Messages from Another Phone Using a Spy App
- Cloning a Phone to Intercept Text Messages
- Text Message Forwarding (iOS Devices Only)
Get Text Messages from Another Phone Using a Spy App
Spy apps, or phone monitoring apps, are a type of smartphone surveillance software. These apps secretly intercept text messages from another phone and send them to yours.
Cell phone monitoring apps are compatible with iOS and Android smartphones. They are the easiest and most convenient way to receive text messages from another phone.
Spying App SMS Message Tracking Features
Spying apps include all of the following text message tracking features:
- view SMS message content of a child, employee, or spouse
- view contact information and timestamp for sent and received texts
- view deleted messages
Requirements to Use Spy Apps to Intercept Text Messages
The following requirements are necessary to get texts from another phone using a spying app.
- a cell phone monitoring app account
- access to the target device (Android only)
- the target user’s iCloud email and password (iOS only)
- a computer or phone from which you can receive and view the messages
The following sections contain instructions for installing and configuring a spy app on both Android and iOS phones.
Using a Spy App to Get Text Messages from Another iPhone
iPhones and iPads allow you to hack text messages without access to the device. This is possible because iOS devices backup all messages to the Apple iCloud.
The are two requirements to get started using a spy app on an Apple device.
- the user’s iCloud email address and password.
- brief access to the phone (if 2-factor authentication is enabled).
While there are many apps that are capable of monitoring iOS devices, uMobix offers the most comprehensive spying features.
The uMobix app tracks SMS text messages and iMessages. It also tracks social media chat messages on Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, and Skype.
Below you will find instructions for installing and using uMobix on an iOS device.
NOTE: uMobix does NOT require jailbreaking the iPhone.
Installing uMobix on an iOS Device
Step 1: Sign up for a uMobix Account
Go to umobix.com create a new account by entering your email address.
Then select “iOS, iPhone, iPad” as the target device. Again, you do NOT need to jailbreak the device.
Next you will need to choose your subscription. The annual plan is by far the best value, but you will have to pay for the whole year upfront. Choose whatever makes sense for your budget.
Once you’ve completed your payment you will receive a confirmation email with further instructions. The next step is setting up the tracking app.
Step 2: Set up the uMobix app to monitor the target iPhone
The setup wizard will guide you through the entire installation process.
For uMobix to work properly you need to ensure that iCloud backups are enabled on the target iPhone. This can be done from the “Settings” icon. Most iPhones have iCloud backup enabled by default.
Next you will enter the users Apple ID and password in the fields specified. This allows uMobix to access the phone’s backups in the cloud.
You may be required to enter a 2FA verification code from Apple to verify access to the account. This code will be sent to the target iPhone as a text message.
Step 3: Access their text messages from your online dashboard.
After the installation process is complete you can log into your uMobix dashboard. To start viewing text messages click on the “Messages” tab on the left side of your screen.
The screenshot below shows the uMobix text and iMessage control panel.
What iPhone Text Message Data Can You View with uMobix?
Here is some of the SMS text information you’ll be able to see with the uMobix app:
- SMS text conversations and iMessage conversations
- deleted messages
- timestamp and contact name
- attachments such as stickers, images, videos, etc
Why is uMobix my #1 choice for iPhones?
- simple installation, no jailbreak required
- monitors iMessages, SMS, WhatsApp, Skype, Instagram, Facebook, and Tinder
- helpful support
- 14-day refund policy
- track GPS location, phone calls, contact lists, and social media activity
- great solution for parents to monitor a child
Using a Spy App to Get Text Messages from Another Android
Phone surveillance apps are a convenient way to secretly receive text messages from another Android device.
Android spying apps are installed directly onto the target phone. The installation process requires the following:
- a few minutes of physical access to the device.
- the target person’s passcode to unlock the phone.
uMobix is an ideal solution for intercepting and reading someone else’s text messages. The uMobix app offers comprehensive list of spying features for Android devices.
It does NOT require you to root the phone. Here are some of the features of uMobix for Androids:
- see sent and received SMS messages.
- view timestamps and contact information
- view attachments such as pictures, videos, gifs, and stickers
- view deleted messages
- view messages from Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, Viber, Tinder, and more
Installing uMobix on an Android Device
The steps below will lead you through installing and configuring uMobix on an Android device.
Step 1: Create an account at uMobix.com
Go to the uMobix website and create a new account.
Next you will need to choose “Android Phone or Tablet” as the device to be monitored.
Then choose your subscription. The annual plan is the best value. Choose whatever makes sense for your budget.
Once you’ve paid you will be taken to the installation and setup page.
Step 2: Change the necessary security settings on the target Android (Total Time: 1 minute)
You will now need access to the target Android device to install the tracker app. It is not available through the Google Play Store so you will need to enable app installation from 3rd party sources. This may be different based on the Android phone your monitoring. Here are the steps I took on my Pixel.under Security -> Apps & Notification -> Special App Access -> Install unknown apps from the device.
- Tap the “Security” icon
- Tap “Apps & Notifications”
- Tap “Special App Access”
- Tap “Install Unknown Apps”
5. Then you will tap “Chrome” and enable “Allow from this source”
6. Next disable Google Play Protect by going to “Settings”
7. Tap “Security”
8. Tap “Google Play Protect”
9. Tap the cog icon in the top right
10. Turn off “Scan apps…” and “Improve Harmful App Detection…”
Now you’re ready to download the app onto the device.
Step 3: Install the uMobix tracker on the phone of the target person (Total time: 5 minutes)
- Login to the uMobix website.
- From the Download and Install page, use the TARGET phone’s camera to scan the QR code.
- Click on the link that appears. This will download the uMobix app.
4. Once it finishes downloading click the “Open” button. (If your phone won’t open the file check out these quick instructions to allow the “Files” app to open untrusted apps)
5. When prompted with “File Might Be Harmful”, click “Download Anyway”
6. At the next prompt click “Install”
7. At the uMobix license agreement page click “Agree”
8. On the next page tap “Enable Keylogger”
9. You will then be taken to the “Automatic Installation” page. It will start automatically.
Once the installation has completed the phone’s data will begin downloading to your dashboard. This process can take several minutes to an hour depending on the amount of data and the phone’s internet connection.
Step 3: Accessing someone’s text messages remotely
Once the spy app installation is complete you can view the other person’s text messages in your control panel by selecting the messages menu selection on the left.
Why is uMobix my top pick for Androids?
uMobix is one the top text message forwarding and tracking apps available. It’s great for parents or employers who need to monitor their employee’s work phone.
- No root required
- setup takes less than 5 minutes
- Monitors texts and ALL social media platform chats
- built in keylogger feature
- invisible to the end user
- view call logs with incoming phone number
Cloning a Phone to Intercept Text Messages
Cloning a phone is the process of creating a duplicate of the target phone. Once cloned, a second phone gets text messages, phone calls, and any other form of communication that is sent to the number of the original phone.
Cloning a device is accomplished by creating a duplicate of the device’s SIM card. In addition to being technically challenging, this method has some very serious disadvantages.
Disadvantages of Cloning a Phone
There are several disadvantages to the cloning method of intercepting text messages intended for someone else’s phone.
- specific hardware and technical knowledge to copy the SIM card of the target phone
- an extra phone
- once cloned, the target phone will NO LONGER WORK
This method is favored by hackers because it gives them complete control of the phone number. It is not an effective way of monitoring someone’s text messages because it essentially breaks their phone.
Requirements for Cloning a Phone
There are four requirements for cloning a phone by duplicating its’ SIM card.
- access to the target device to access the SIM card
- a SIM card reader and computer
- enough time to clone the SIM card (5 minutes)
- Rebooting the original phone
Rebooting the target phone is required because it breaks its’ cellular network connection. The phone with the cloned SIM card takes its’ place, rendering the original phone inoperable.
Text Message Forwarding (iOS Devices Only)
Text message forwarding is a process by which one iOS device forwards text messages to another. Once enabled, all messages can be viewed from multiple iOS devices.
Text message forwarding is designed for individuals with multiple Apple devices to get messages on all their devices. It can be used by a parent that wants to monitor their child’s text communications.
Text Message Forwarding Requirements
There are a few requirements to setup text message forwarding on an iOS device.
- you will need physical access to both devices
- all devices must use the same AppleID
- a two-factor authentication code must be entered to enroll the device.
Disadvantages of Text Message Forwarding
Text message forwarding has a couple significant disadvantages.
- all devices receive notifications for all messages
- all devices must use the same AppleID
If you choose to enable text message forwarding, all texts to all devices are shared. This means you will see your child’s text messages, but they will also get yours.
This is not an ideal solution.
How to Setup Text Message Forwarding on iOS Devices
Message forwarding is relatively easy to setup. It generally takes just 2-3 minutes. Once setup you will receive automatic notifications of any messages.
Refer to the following support article from Apple to setup text message forwarding.
Can I see someones text messages without their phone?
The uMobix parental control app allows you to quickly read someone’s texts without their phone.
Can I read my partner’s text messages without touching their phone?
Smartphone monitoring apps allow you to read your partner’s texts without touching their phone. But use caution as it is illegal to monitor someone’s phone without their permission in many countries.
In this post we’ve answered how to get text messages from another phone sent to mine. The best solution is to use spy software. uMobix is my top pick as it provides the easiest installation, best customer service, and a reasonable price.